Ok so... GDU is awesome and has been around for a little while now but I simply can not wait. I would like to initiate GDU's first InstaJam! I hope this is OK with all of you. This will be my first game jam ever, so naturally I am quite new to the concept. From what I've gathered, we should have a theme as well as a loose deadline. Since I'm starting it, I thought I'd choose the theme. As for the deadline... I vote for 2 weeks from now. If anyone else has input as for when the deadline should happen, please chime in. I chose two weeks because I am genuinely intimidated by the 2-3 day gamejams that take place. With my work-filled life, something like that seems impossible given my lack of experience.
TL;DR: Here's the break-down==
- I'm jumping the gun and starting the first GDU InstaJam (unofficial until Tim calls it official).
- The very loose deadline will be Wednesday, July 24, 2013.
- The theme of the InstaJam will be "Lost at Sea". Here is a drawing of mine to help inspire:
- Teams may consist of 1 to 10 individuals. I do recommend to actually have a team of more than one person, and I also recommend each team consists of at least 1 programmer and 1 artist.
- You may use any engine and/or programming language. You may also use an existing game that you have been working on previously, but a) Please note that it contains previous work, and b) Please try to finish the game, or at least make it playable.
- The game must be playable on a Windows PC. I always recommend porting your game to multiple platforms, but it is my perception that most people at least have access to a PC running Windows. ******UPDATE****** In the spirit of not restricting anyone, disregard this rule. Make any game on any platform. Not everyone has Windows, so I guess it was kind of unfair to put this rule in.
- Participate, make your voices heard, and have fun!
I chose "Lost at Sea" because it is how I feel these days. Although I feel lost, there is always the possibility of finding land. The drawing I provided was fully inspired by a recurring dream I had when I was a kid, in which I would be lying back on a wooden raft, lost in the middle of the sea. It would be night time, and the moon would shine it's light beautifully on the water. I never felt dread during the dream, but rather content, with a longing to see what's out there.
If you would like to have me on your team, please let me know! My true goal in this InstaJam is to get experience working with others in game development. I do have a game in mind, but I am open. If I do end up going solo (which I don't prefer), I will stick to using the Construct 2 engine. I'm willing to work with other programmers/artists but I'd need to receive delegation, rather than provide it (at least for now).
So who's down for the InstaJam?