Funny story I actually taught an 6 week class to a group of students on how to make a game about 2 years ago. They were middle schoolers with no experience at all in game dev...and this was a school for kids with behavioral problems too, so I don't know if it applies to the general population. Initially I was going to take them through the whole process...brainstorming ideas, programming, art, sound, but I had to adapt many times.
The first week I brought a bunch of post it notes to class and we came up we decided to make a few different lists of 10 using the post its. THe first list was a list of genres. The second was a list of characters. The third was a list of locations. And the fourth was a list of objectives. And I laid them out on the wall. When we listed out 10 of each, we actually could mix and match them and come up with literally hundreds of concepts. What the kids ended up with was a runner game, about a student, in a schoolbus, trying to escape. You can see how each of those elements correspond to the list...and it was actually a bit therapeutic for them I think because remember this was a school for kids with behavioral problems, and this idea came up organically.
The second week I walked them through making the basic game with the free version of construct 2 while following my actions on a projector. The students seemed to grasp Construct 2 while following along with me on the projector fairly well. They obviously couldn't make their own code but they could use the stuff I was showing them and didnt have any issues.
The 3rd week I wanted to walk them through how to make the assets in Gimp (couldn't get licenses for photoshop). The art was a complete disaster tbh. I completely underestimated how hard it can be for people to grasp a piece of software like Gimp, and I didn't realize how many tiny little design oriented things I had picked up that others were not aware of, like shading, perspective, how shapes fit together, how colors fit together etc. So although we spent several days on the art, I had to hire an artist to build us the assets for our class to use the next week.
The 4th week we worked on the sound. Most of the sounds we recorded using mouths and a mic...one student even brought in a recording of some music he made. That was cool. And we used audacity to to remove background noise and mix sounds. We also used http://bfxr.net to generate a few odds and ends we needed. This was a lot more complex than I thought it would be because I had different students trying to make different sounds and it was hard to keep up with everyone. Doing it over again I would walk them through how to generate their own and let everyone make their own sounds with BFXR for their own version of the game rather than make a class game as a group.
Week 5 we spent adding in all of the assets, and tweaking the little variables like player speed, jump height, obstacle movement etc. This was one of the smoothest and most exciting classes.
And then week 6 we had a little pizza party for the school where all the kids got to come in and play their game using an xbox 360 controller on the big projector. THAT was a ton of fun...and all of the kids started noticing little places for improvement or little bugs in the code and we had a huge talk about iteration.
Overall not a bad format IMO if you wanted to use it...although like I said the art stuff was way more complicated than I thought it would be. Everyone had a ton of fun, and everyone was SUPER excited to not only play their game with their friends that day...but also I surprised them and put it on Google Play for everybody so they could show their parents at stuff at home.
10/10 would do again.